Powerful Network Management Capabilities
The NetWare NOS includes several powerful management utilities that simplify
the job of installing, updating, and managing your network. In most cases,
you can manage network resources from a centralized location.
Remote Management Facility
- With NetWare's Remote Management Facility, saves time and money by
managing remote servers from an admin's workstation.
- Install, upgrade, and maintain the operating system and configure
network services remotely.
- Over either a network connection or a telephone line, load and unload
network services; mount, dismount, or expand volumes; or execute any console
command without ever having to bring down a server.
- Workgroup Manager Capability
- The NetWare NOS includes a workgroup manager capability that enables
you to delegate the tasks involved in managing a subset of users.
- A workgroup manager is responsible for a defined subset of users,
typically those within a particular department or group.
- He or she can create users, set passwords, assign disk space, and
grant rights to a group of users.
Automated Workstation Software Update Utility
- The NetWare NOS contains the WSUPDATE utility, which makes it easy
to update workstation software from a central location.
- WSUPDATE enables to update NetWare workstation programs on all Windows
and DOS workstations automatically, without physically going to each workstation.
- Call the program in the system login script and set it to run as
often as necessary.
- The NetWare NOS's resource management features enable to check the
status of each NLM running on the server and to determine which network
resources the NLM is using.
- With the MONITOR utility, track an NLM's use of memory pools, screens,
processes, and semaphores.
- The NetWare NOS monitors more than 150 server resources in real time.
- This helps developers identify and manage the resources their NLMs
use and thus create reliable NLM applications.
- NetWare ensures that NLMs run reliably.
- When unloading an NLM the operating system returns all resources
used by that NLM to the pool of available resources.
- The operating system also performs consistency checking on all NLMs
to protect against NLMs that hoard resources.
- The NetWare NOS's accounting features enable to charge for the use
of network resources.
- Base charges on connection time, blocks read from or written to disk,
free disk space used, or the number of requests made by a workstation.
- Vary rates according to the time of day or the day of the week.
- Also assign credit limits and have the system log out users who have
exceeded their limits.
- The NetWare NOS also provides dynamic resource configuration, automatically
calculating the internal system resources needed for optimum performance.
Open Development Platform
- NetWare's open development platform enables developers to create NLMs
optimized to run in the NetWare environment, ensuring that a wide range
of server-based applications from which to choose.
- Novell provides developers with tools and application programming
interfaces (APIs) that make NLM development easier.
- NetWare includes CLIB, a set of APIs that developers need to create
Advanced Print Services
- The NetWare NOS includes NetWare Print Server, an application that
enables you to run multiple print servers on a single network and allow
users to share as many as 16 printers.
- Attach printers through parallel (LPT1-LPT3) or serial (COM1-COM4)
ports or directly to the network.
- Network printers may be attached to virtually any node on the network,
including a network server, an external router, a dedicated DOS-based print
server, or any DOS-based user workstation.
Improved Menu System
- The NetWare NOS includes the NMENU utility, which requires less memory
than the MENU utility available in previous versions of NetWare.
- The NetWare 3.12 NOS's CD-ROM install option makes installation fast
- Load the CD-ROM and type answers to a few preliminary questions.
- The CD-ROM then automatically installs your NetWare 3.12 system.